What’s happening to hawk-i in 2014?
- You can still get free or low-cost healthcare coverage for kids and teens
- Income guidelines will be changing, which means families with higher income may qualify!
- An easier application process - hawk-i will be part of the Health Insurance Marketplace, meaning an easier application and automatic income verification. Effective 12/1/13 applications for hawk-i should be completed on HealthCare.gov.
- Children on hawk-i will be covered by either Wellmark or UnitedHealthcare, and you still get to choose which plan your child is on.
- Families already on hawk-i will not have any changes until their renewal time, and they will still qualify for either hawk-i or Medicaid at that time.
Questions? You can still call hawk-i customer support toll-free at 1-800-257-8563. Need to know how to apply? Contact Jen Weidman, local outreach coordinator @ 319-653-7758/800-655-7758
Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa, or hawk-i, is a health insurance program for children. hawk-i serves children throughout the state of Iowa, making sure they receive the medical/dental attention they need so they can grow healthy and strong. hawk-i is for families who make too much money to receive Medicaid, but find their private insurance plans are too high in price. Children ages 0-19 years of age, whose families meet the income guidelines, are eligible to receive low-cost or free health insurance through the hawk-i program. In Washington and Henry County, the hawk-i medical plan is administered through United Health Care and Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Once a family is determined eligible they are able to choose which plan is best for their children.
Families are now able to apply for a dental only plan through hawk-i. So if your child has medical insurance but no dental insurance this is an option for you. In Washington and Henry County, the hawk-i dental plan is administered through Delta Dental.
For more information about hawk-i, please visit www.hawk-i.org. This website also has downloadable material for you to look through or print for distribution. You may also call Washington County Public Health & Home Care at 319-653-7758 or 800-655-7758 or email the hawk-i coordinator, Jen Weidman, at email@example.com about any questions you have concerning the program or the application.